Not so long ago I wrote a post about the most random facts ever about me. It went pretty well. I wrote some pretty random things. But also quite a few NOT random things for those of you who read and know me quite well already. 🙂 SO! In light of the heaviness of yesterday’s post (haha…light and heavy in the same sentence…!), I figured you could use some REALLY random Dawn facts that will make you giggle or eye roll or question why you’re friends with me…or why you’d ever want to be friends with me if we’re not already. Genius, right?! Yeah. Fact one: I am hilariously shameless about my ridic traits. So here goes nothing…10 more facts for you…
1) I hate ketchup. It’s super duper nasty. It mostly tastes like vinegar and sugar to me. And I don’t really like tomatoes much, so that doesn’t help. So, ketchup, you’re gross. No one needs you. There are much better condiments out there.
2) I love mustard. I think this makes me a particularly good Chicago resident (have you met the Chicago dog? it is a no ketchup, yes mustard kind of delicious monstrosity). But I love all kinds of mustard. I think I have 4 or 5 kinds in my fridge. So delish!
3) So what about french fries, Dawn?! WHAT ABOUT FRENCH FRIES!?! And to that I respond, what about them?! They don’t need ketchup! One) a good fry should stand on it’s own. But Two) I eat my fries with mayo. Yep. Mayo. And sometimes mustard mixed in. 😉 But there is something incredible about a french fry dipped in mayo. I highly recommend you try it. Belgium is the french fry originator, and they choose mayo. (Speaking of…french fries have an interesting history, in case you weren’t aware. Go do some research!)
4) Silence is absurdly deafening to me. I don’t know what it is. It’s not that I don’t prefer to be alone sometimes, but I need noise. I can’t just turn everything off and sit in silence. I need music. Or a movie. Or any kind of background noise. And when I sleep, I turn on a fan and a TV show (currently making my way through Friends), or I can’t fall asleep!
5) I have glasses. Which is not a random fact. But the way I discovered the need is. 🙂 My boyfriend at the time, Alex, and I were in Paris on vacation (yes, he took me on a Paris vacay…he’s a pretty cool guy…), and he kept pointing things out that I could not see. He insisted on me going to the eye doctor when we got home, which I had never done before. Turns out one of my eyes was REALLY bad and the eye doctor told me that I should have gotten glasses probably around the age of 5. I was 23 when I went to the eye doctor and got my first pair of glasses. It was like looking at a new world! So bright and crisp and clear! Plus, I look awesome in my hipster nerd glasses. Obvi. 🙂
6) I’m pretty girly now, but it hasn’t always been that way. In fact, even through college I would only occasionally put on some eye shadow, a little eye liner, and mascara. Like, only if I was going out for the night or going to something fancy. To look at my makeup collection now would make you not believe this story. And I kickass at makeup-ing my face now…and feel super naked without makeup (although I still don’t wear it often at work, because I don’t care about work…sorry ’boutchya, work! haha).
7) I love buying movies. And TV on DVD. I own a LOT of movies and TV on DVD and I’m not ashamed of it. I’m like my own little cinema and it’s great. I’m currently not sure what I will do if I get any more movies, as I’m running out of space on the shelving I have, but I don’t care! Keep ’em coming! 🙂 Also, I alphabetize them. Totes a bit OCD when it comes to that.
8) I started college to be an elementary school teacher. And I hated it. My professors made me cry. It was horrible. Plus, have you seen the rules teachers have to follow when it comes to what they have to get taught in a year?! It’s INSANE! Teachers are goddamn saints for what they put up with, and I don’t just mean the kids. </end rant> I then transferred from Ball State to Purdue and started art classes because I was certain I was going to enter their interior design program. I wanted to do something similar to my dad (who owns a kickass custom cabinetry company), so why not design the rooms his cabinetry is in?! But then I discovered that would take me 5 more years when I’d already been in school for 2. NO THANKS. So I went with my love of reading and entered the English department, while keeping my art history and art & design classes up as minors, so that I could hopefully become a magazine editor/layout designer. I DID major and minor in those things, but clearly didn’t follow through with my dream…
9) I graduated in the worst of the recession and magazines were closing doors and laying off people, so going into my dream job was just not even an option. Now, 8 years later, I’m still in the job I got after college, but I now hate it. Passionately. And am looking to get back to using my degrees… More coming SOOOOON! on that, because, my oh my, has my brain been busy concocting genius plans. Also, if I could, I’d totally want to work for Cosmo magazine. May seem silly, but I think I’ve got the right personality for it and would completely be obsessed with my job in a great way. 🙂
10) I’m completely obsessed with all things giraffe and owl. Come visit. You’ll see. And I love when people send me giraffe things. Or owl things.
I have very specific (and often limited edition) food obsessions. Coca-Cola (NEVER Pepsi). Vanilla Tootsie Rolls (go get a bag RIGHT. NOW. they’re only available at christmas). Candy cane KISSES (again. go. get a bag RIGHT. NOW. they’re also only available at christmas). I stock up on both of those christmas treats so that I can eat them longer than their limited availability. Cadbury mini eggs (go get a bag of these at easter. another limited edition you won’t regret. super velvety chocolate surrounded by the perfect amount of crunchy shell. I particularly like them frozen. I may still have two bags in my freezer…). Limon Lays (they’re hard to find, but they’re a perfect salty lime-y concoction that I eat by the bag full when I’m craving salty lime-y things…which is most days).